Eighth Grade English Language Arts
COURSE ID: K-8-ELA-008
Introduction and Purpose
The English Language Arts 8th Grade course is comprised of four major areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening, and language. By the end of the year 8th Grade will:
- Demonstrate independence.
- Building strong content knowledge.
- Respond to the varying demands of audience, task, purpose, and discipline.
- Comprehend as well as critique.
- Value evidence.
- Use technology and digital media strategically and capably.
- Come to understand other perspectives and cultures.
The course will also be comprised of regular practice with complex works of literature and informational text. In addition, students will be asked to habitually perform the critical reading necessary to pick carefully through the staggering amount of information available today in print and digitally. The course will demand a wide, deep, and thoughtful engagement with high-quality literary and informational texts that builds knowledge, enlarges experience, and broadens worldviews. In addition students must demonstrate the cogent reasoning and use of evidence that is essential to both private deliberation and responsible citizenship in a democratic republic. In short, students who pass this course will develop the skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening that are the foundation for any creative and purposeful expression in language.